The Biology research problem is like the abstract of a scientific paper.
It should summarize - in 1 to 2 pages - the background, research question, hypothesis, methods, anticipated results, and broader implication of your research.
The research problem should describe the following for the reader, clearly and concisely:
- Background: What does the reader need to know to understand the question you are asking?
- Question: What is the question you are asking and trying to answer?
- Hypothesis: What is your tentative answer to the question based on previous research or what you know of the problem you are studying?
- Methods: How will you answer your questions?
- Anticipated Results: What results might you get and how will you interpret them?
- Conclusion: What are the broader implications of your study?