What is the Background of the Humanities Research Problem?
This is your opportunity to tell us the origins and context of your research question or problem.
What must I accomplish in this section?
- You will show us that a specific problem has been identified
- You will show us the relationship of this problem to the work of other investigators
- You will prove that you know the major current opinions or interpretations about the problem you have chosen to investigate
- You will show us that you aren’t simply duplicating existing or outdated research, you are adding something that illustrates your original thinking
What else is helpful to know?
- This section is longer than the research problem, usually several pages in length
- It is helpful to give one or more detailed examples that illustrates how your approach to your subject will illuminate it
- Be sure to present all cited works in MLA 8th Edition formatting
- Remember: the aim is not to provide simply an overview of the topic or to present a string of references to others’ works - you must demonstrate that you have identified a specific problem and show its relationship to the work of other scholars