Your proposal will help determine whether a faculty member or other professional will consent to work with you as your Thesis Director.
- Usually the first draft of your proposal will need further work and not be acceptable yet
- It often can take three to four weeks for your Research Advisor to return your proposal
- It typically takes 3 to 4 drafts before your proposal is approved by your Research Advisor
Why Might I Have to Revise?
Revisions may be needed if you haven’t determined how the principal question can be answered or the hypothesis tested.
- Your topic lacks focus - try to look at a specific, not a general, problem
- Your proposal asks no question or presents no hypothesis
- You’re trying to cover too much material
What About Writing Style?
Writing style concerns will need to be addressed if your proposal lacks the proper format or consistently demonstrates sub-standard usage of English.
- Make sure your writing style follows the guidelines in your field
- Use correct grammar, spelling, format, and citations. It is essential that you proofread your work!
- Be sure to number the pages in your proposal
Need additional writing help?
The HES Writing Center is here to provide guidance: HES Writing Center